Hospital Visits

Like millions of others, I have spent the night in a hospital. And during my overnight stays, I enjoyed having visitors. They brought encouragement, smiles, and warm feelings. I’m sure I healed more quickly because of their love.

I also have visited others in hospitals for various reasons. I cheered up my mother-in-law with pictures of her grandchildren. I brought flowers to a woman who had just had a baby. I sang Christmas carols with a youth group. And I brought a sack of snack food to a family whose dad was having heart surgery.

I received plenty of verbal thanks, but that’s not why I did it. I know what I felt like during my hospital stays, so if I can comfort others in a similar situation, I’ll do it.

Today’s goal is: Visit someone in a hospital.

Your church may have a list of members who are in the hospital and would enjoy visitors. Churches usually have a prayer list which includes several people in the hospital.

I’ve heard of the family of a new bride bringing wedding flower arrangements to hospitals after the wedding and putting them in the rooms of those who don’t get many visitors.

Even if you don’t bring anything but conversation, there are those who are lonely and would love to have a visit – from anyone. That caring conversation will bless their day and bring an added bonus of healing.

No comments: